CHURCHES TOGETHER
IN MARKFIELD
Leicester
West
Updated
02 September 2016
Methodist
Congregational
Anglican Catholic
Click on the Church/Name to select more information:
About St Wilfrid’s . . .
1888
Mass was first said in Coalville in a private house in Ashby Road with an average congregation of between 16 and 20. Soon the congregation outgrew the house and Mass was moved to a local dance hall at a rent of 7/6 a week. However, as this proved too expensive to support, Mr Tyler very kindly offered, without charge, the use of his theatre.
1900
Edwin de Lisle erected a temporary church, St Saviour’s, at Coalville.
1913
permission was given by the Bishop to appeal for help in the building of a new church in Coalville.
1939
plans were drawn up for the construction of the new church, which, due to  the outbreak of war, had to be shelved.
1959
the purchase by Fr Key of the present site on London Road.
1959
work began and the foundation stone was laid.
1967
consecration of our Church of St. Wilfrid of York.
1986
Silver Jubilee was celebrated.
About Markfield Methodists . . .
1811
A Wesleyan Chapel was erected at the top of Holywell Lane and was later known as Temperance Hall.  Wesley's followers could not continue just as a society within the Established Church (C of E), given the requirement to formally register their existence.  Later, the Wesleyans themselves were also subject to a break-away in the development of other groups such as Primitive Methodists.
1842
The (top) chapel in Main Street was founded for the forty-strong flourishing Primitive Methodist congregation.
1894
The (bottom) Wesleyan Chapel was built in Main Street and the Holywell Lane Wesleyans moved in.
1932
Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodists along with the Bible Christians, united as one national Methodist Church.   Almost thirty years later the two Methodist Chapels in Markfield united and formed the present Trinity Methodist Church.

About Markfield Congregational . . .

On 11 December 1852 a parcel of land in the centre of the village was finally Conveyed to a group of “seceding Methodists”. A few weeks earlier the new building on it had been opened and dedicated to the Glory of God. So that date is regarded as the start of Markfield Congregational Church.

On 24 September 1962 the by­then empty Bourne Methodist Chapel (100 yards up Main Street) formally came into the hands of the Congregationalists. The interior was altered to suit the new occupants.

On 18 May 1963 the “new” Markfield Congregational Church was dedicated whilst the existing 1852 building now became the Church Hall. That arrangement still obtains today.

In October 1972 Markfield Congs voted to stay Congregational and become a member of the Congregatioal Federation rather than joining the newly formed United Reformed Church.

In 1978/9 the Church had to be closed for 12 months for major repairs, following the discovery of dry (and wet) rot, leaving the building much as it is today.

In 1993 Sunday Club, a joint venture with the Anglicans,was started and still meets most Sunday mornings in our Church Hall (the Anglicans have no facilities other than the Parish Church).

In 2001 the Church Hall roof was rapidly deteriorating but the building was in a newly designated Markfield Conservation Area. Repair grants were requested and granted with provisos – result: a re­-roofed building with refurbished iron windows and new cast iron rainwater items in keeping with what would have been fitted when the building was erected way back in 1852.

On 1 December 2002 Markfield Congs celebrated their 150th anniversary.

In November 2013, having had no ministerial oversight for some 35 years, we welcomed our present Minister Revd Joy Langford.


www.000webhost.com